About the trip

Welcome to the Cambodia blog. I'm travelling in the country for 10 days as a guest of the Tearfund partner 'Cambodia Hope Organisation' in Poi Pet. Our party of 6 includes Revd Jono Pierce, rector of St Finnian's and representative of the Bishops' Appeal Fund. We're visiting a number of projects and when connections allow, I'm posting my thoughts and reactions right here. I'm tweeting too at http://twitter.com/bishopharold

Tuesday 16 November 2010

Countdown to Departure....

It is always exciting for a 60 year old to try new things, and today is certainly the beginning of something new! Becoming a vice-president of Tearfund has been one of the great privileges of life. Whether I took over from Bishop James or Sir Cliff, I'm not sure, but it is a joy to be a VP of such a wonderful organization. I have supported the work of Tearfund ever since it began, which must now be 42 years ago, because Graham Kendrick wrote that haunting and powerful song Beauty for Brokenness in 1993 to celebrate 25 years.

But that's not the only new thing. I have never been to anywhere like  Cambodia before. Singapore is the nearest I've been, and it is probably a million miles away culturally! It was Tearfund who chose, and when they made the suggestion, I had just had a Christmas letter from friends in Cork, in which they said that they had recently been to Cambodia with -guess whom- Tearfund! So, I rang Bill and asked: 'What do you think?'. His answer was simple:  'Whatever you do, don't miss the opportunity -and make sure you get to see the work of Cambodia Hope Organization in Poipet!'. So that is exactly what we will be doing.

Now, to be honest, I'm always a little uncertain about 'trips' like this. Usually all the preparation in the Miller household is done at the last minute. Liz has just packed my bags, 'cos packing is one of my pet hates, and I am only now thinking myself into it. Will I be able to listen carefully enough to understand? Will I be able to report back in such a way that all of you want to engage with my travel experiences, and pray? Will I cope with the food, or have to be a vegetarian for 10 days? (On the last question, the girl whos ervies me in the sandwich shop says the food is wonderful- the Cambodians have French influence, and great baguettes and criossants, so I needn't worry about No 3!).

And the other new-fangled thing is blogging. I had a go at Lambeth 2008, and had a great readership- but that was controversial. This time I'm doing it all myself, and Tewwting for the first time to boot......Not bad for a 60 year old, but then, I sometimes think I'm still thirty! Now, it's countdown ro departure at 5.35pm......

No comments:

Post a Comment