About the trip

Welcome to the Cambodia blog. I'm travelling in the country for 10 days as a guest of the Tearfund partner 'Cambodia Hope Organisation' in Poi Pet. Our party of 6 includes Revd Jono Pierce, rector of St Finnian's and representative of the Bishops' Appeal Fund. We're visiting a number of projects and when connections allow, I'm posting my thoughts and reactions right here. I'm tweeting too at http://twitter.com/bishopharold

Wednesday 24 November 2010

Music

Today we met at 7.30am for a special time of prayer for the nation of Cambodia, and especially for those grieving the loss of loved ones in the tragedy on Monday on Diamond Island Bridge in Phnom Penh. It was a wonderful time. The priestly ministry of the people of God in bringing the world before its Maker is a privilege. Tears were shed, prayers of love were uttered to one who knows and understands human grief and loss.

But, strangely, the part of the worship which affected me most deeply was the singing. Music here feels different- it has a kind of Chinese sound to Western ears. It is very beautiful. I only wish I could have recorded it for you to hear. Most of the hymns and songs were unknown to us, but we knew oursleves to be in the presence of believers worshipping the One God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. I began to ruminate as the music washed over me, that when we arrive at the new heaven and the new earth, there will be people of all tribes and nations and peoples and languages before the throne of God, singing 'Worthy is the Lamb'. I'm sure they will bring with them all that is best in their cultures, and I imagined myself wandering from nation to nation, as the beauty of their singing was lifted up to the throne of God.

Then we sang a song I knew: 'Amazing grace', with the last verse in English:
When we've been there tem thousand years,
bright shining as the sun,
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Then when we first begun.

And thanked the Lord from the bottoim of my heart for his wonderful redemption, and for the whole company of the redeemed.

No comments:

Post a Comment