About the trip

Welcome to the Cambodia blog. I'm travelling in the country for 10 days as a guest of the Tearfund partner 'Cambodia Hope Organisation' in Poi Pet. Our party of 6 includes Revd Jono Pierce, rector of St Finnian's and representative of the Bishops' Appeal Fund. We're visiting a number of projects and when connections allow, I'm posting my thoughts and reactions right here. I'm tweeting too at http://twitter.com/bishopharold

Tuesday 23 November 2010

Here's another poem ...

I have asked Pete to publish some more reflections on our time in Cambodia. Here is a powerful one:

Darkness

Today the sky is aqua-marine
Children are laughing, blowing bubbles
Sweets and colouring books are given out
We sing songs together
And play hand games on the floor.

But we are reminded of the darkness
Could you sell - or buy - a three year old?
Could you give a healthy child brain damage
And put them in a wheelchair forever
Just so you can get more cash from them when they beg?

Watching chidren's faces in the classroom
I think of the ones not here
Those still in torment, despair and fear
Living in the shadow of terror.

I rage against such sick and perverted minds
For a while
Remembering that there is darkness in me sometimes
Remembering it is better to light a candle than curse the darkness
Remembering being taken to a series of dark rooms
Late at night
And shown a vision of such blinding goodness
That I have to believe:
Lord, help my unbelief.

No comments:

Post a Comment