About the trip

Welcome to the Cambodia blog. I'm travelling in the country for 10 days as a guest of the Tearfund partner 'Cambodia Hope Organisation' in Poi Pet. Our party of 6 includes Revd Jono Pierce, rector of St Finnian's and representative of the Bishops' Appeal Fund. We're visiting a number of projects and when connections allow, I'm posting my thoughts and reactions right here. I'm tweeting too at http://twitter.com/bishopharold

Friday 19 November 2010

....More great poetry

Peter, our resident poet, is wonderful at reflecting on the experiences we have had as a team, and putting our thoughts into words. Here are some of his reflections on the border crossing from Thailand to Cambodia. It's great to have others like Jono and Peter feeding into the blog as well, but I will add my own blog soon.....

Over to the poet!

Thanks, Harold.  Here's my latest missive which relates to our trip from Bangkok to Poipet and specifically our crossing at the border:

Borderline

We file through one room after another
citing passport numbers, date of birth,
Country of origin.
Looking serious, hoping the uniformed border guard
will not notice we are nervous.
What is it about border crossings and guilt?
Do we not think ourselves good enough to get in?
Scrutinised by non-commital faces
stamping success - or failure -
on our notebooks of identity and status.

I am headed for a country with no borders
whose criteria for entry
is a simple acknowledgement of grace
and a realisation
that the journey is only just beginning ...

No comments:

Post a Comment